- Calories per Serving: 387.2
- Minutes to Prepare: 25
- Minutes to Cook: 30 for Sweet Potatoes
- Minutes to Cook: 30 for Casserole
- Servings: 6
The Spicy Quinoa Black Bean Casserole is perfect for meatless Monday and for vegetarians as it has plenty of protein but no meat.
Highlighted Health Benefits
- The sweet potatoes in this dish make it naturally high in vitamins B6, C and D. They are also a good source of magnesium, which is known as a relaxation and stress reducing mineral. In addition, they balance blood sugar and contain iron and potassium.
- Quinoa is high in protien, and fiber. It helps build bones as just one cup of cooked quinoa contains 30 milligrams of calcium. It is great for brain functioning through iron and vitamin B. Quinoa has all 8 essential amino acids and is a complete protein with 9 grams per cup. It also detoxifies the liver and promotes healthy digestive functioning.
- Black beans are high in both protein and fiber and promote a healthy digestive system. They promote blood sugar regulation and lower blood cholesterol levels. Black beans also contain eight flavonoids which provide antioxidants that have been shown to prevent cancer. Through their folate and vitamin B6 content they support the nervous system. They also detoxify by reducing sulfates through their high molybdenum content.
- Benefits of the garlic in this dish reduces your risk of cancer, promotes heart health, regulates blood sugar thus preventing diabetes, acts as a natural antibiotic and reduces cholesterol just to name a few. Not to mention it keeps vampires at bay and that can always be helpful.
- 3/4 cups dry quinoa (cook according to box instructions)
- 3 cups cooked organic black beans (or two 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- 4 small sweet potatoes (puree/mashed) (organic preferred)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (organic preferred)
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Liberal pinches salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups organic salsa
- 2 small tomatoes or 1 large (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes while the oven is preheating. This will help soften them and make them easier to puree/mash.
- Cook the quinoa according to the box instructions.
- Rub a light layer of oil on a 9” x 9”casserole dish with one of the following oils: Hemp, Olive or Coconut.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- While cooking, dice the tomato(s).
- Once the casserole is removed from the oven and cools, add diced tomatoes to the top. (optional)